Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Bitter Brew

One of my New Years resolutions is to read 50 books this year that are not assigned for class.  So here's to number one.  Or, as my husband noted, how the hell did you finish that book already when you started it last night?

I finished reading Bitter Brew: The Rise and Fall of Anheuser-Busch and America's King of Beers by William Knoedelseder.  Not sure why I picked up the book, as I don't drink Busch products, and Budweiser never sits well in my stomach.  However, having a father who grew up over the river from St. Louis, I do have the memories of a cousin who worked for the Busch family, the clydesdale horse magnets and knicknacks, and the annual Budweiser calendar gifts.  Plus, I do like beer. 
Ironic, because at 15 IBU, Budweiser is really not bitter.
I won't spoil the read.  Just imagine a bunch of kids in St. Louis with instant name recognition and access to tons of alcohol and money.  You can almost see where this is going.  Now add a baseball team.

One thing I did find surprising: Harry Carey was rumored to be having an affair with his boss' daughter-in-law.  If you grew up watching Harry call games, you can see the heavy-drinking and heavy-partying that is described in the book.  But, sex scandals?  What?

No comments:

Post a Comment