Monday, November 14, 2011

Data Shows that Baby Boomers are Blood Sucking Leeches

I don't think it's a surprise that I think that the Baby Boomers as a generation are extracting far more value from the economy than they are willing to put in.  I know I've mentioned that they reaped the benefit of having reasonable, dirt-cheap college tuition that their parents provided, and then slashed state education budgets as a giant F.U. to their own children. 

Wouldn't it be great if there was a graph that displayed their dickishness?  Hey!  There is!  The Pew Research Center created a graph that displays the average household wealth contrasting age brackets from 1984 and 2009.  In 1984, the average young household's wealth was 1/10th of the value of those over age 65.  By 2009, households over the age of 65 were worth 47 times that of those under the age of 35.  FORTY-SEVEN TIMES.  Sure, those are not quite the baby boomers... the lead of that generation was 2 years away from that category. 

So, the next time that my parents wonder when we're going to have kids, I'll just show them this graph.  When they mention that they had been homeowners when they were our age, I'll show them this graph.  When they mention that they had completed multiple college degrees and were starting to establish professional careers when they were our age, I'll show them this graph.

Thanks a lot, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment